Friday, May 15, 2009

A Visit From the Devil, or at Least One of His Friends

After school today, Kennedy and I picked up Sonic Strawberry limeades and Case.  Then we went to Hobby Lobby to get some read, white, and blue decorations for a special event in my classroom tomorrow.  When we got home, I let the kids play on the swingset for a bit.  Then we went in.  I took Case to the Study to feed him while I checked my e-mail.  Yes, I do check my e-mail; it just takes me a while to respond.  Well, I looked over in the floor of the study and there was the devil.  Okay, so it wasn't the devil, but it was a scorpion!  YES, A SCORPION!!! Kennedy walked in, and I told her to go get Matt (he was outside).  He would not come in, so Kennedy came back to me, and I asked, "Did you tell Daddy that there's a scorpion in the study?"  She didn't, so off she set again to tell him.  In the meantime, I looked again, and it was gone!  I put Case (very gently) on the bed, got a shoe from the closet, and went in search of the devil's friend.  I had to have proof after all, or Matt would think I was going crazy.  I found it crawling up the closet door, and I killed it dead!  It now rests in a jar, ready to be viewed by a classroom full of first graders.  As Matt came in to the study I heard him mumbling about how I thought I had seen a scorpion. Boy, was he surprised!  Seriously?  Scorpions in Big Cove, Alabama?  Who knew?  Our neighbor, who knows about everything, said he had never seen any around here. We get our house sprayed monthly, so I think the scorpion was actually dying from the chemicals.  I am so grateful to our Lord for protecting us from this critter.  Oftentimes I put Case in the floor in here while I check e-mail.  God's mercy is just limitless.  We have a friend at church who has testified a few times about brown recluse spiders in her home.  Matt and I always joke with her that she needs to get her house sprayed.  Matt told me tonight that now I have a story to top hers!  I did take some pictures as proof, but they didn't turn out well because of the glare on the jar.  
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Luke 10:19
The strangest thing about the visit was that I was so calm; I was not fearful at all!  However, we are examining the floors extra carefully right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment