Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Case's Surgery

Case had surgery today.  He has had quite a few ear infections over the last three months, and he has been in a lot of pain with all of the fluid in his ears.  I finally gave in and decided that we had to do what was best for Case, which was tubes.  Over the last month Case has not been sleeping well, sitting up, or playing on his belly a lot.  We had him prayed for at church, and that very night Case slept so well, and he has continued to ever since!  If you're up with kids at night, you know what a blessing it is when they sleep well!  Matt dismissed this at first, until I explained to him how much it helped me that Case was sleeping better.  We must give God glory in all things, great and small!

What a night and day we had!  I was up late last night (until 1 am) preparing things for Case and Kennedy.  Also, I was afraid to go to sleep because I worried that I would let Case eat too late in the bed if I fell asleep with him.  He couldn't have anything to eat after 2 am.  Well, he awoke at 1 am, and I fed him and we went to sleep.  He awakened again around 2 am, wanting to suckle, and I couldn't let him, so out came MAD baby.  He cried until about 3:30, all the time rubbing his eyes and halfway falling asleep.  Matt and I took turns holding him.  I got up at 4:30 to get ready for the day, and he was still asleep on Matt's chest.  He slept until almost 6, when it was time for us to leave! Thankfully, he was in a pretty good mood all morning.  He was hungry and asked to eat several times, but we were able to occupy his mind.  He was really good at The Surgery Center.  We were in the waiting room for an hour when they called us back to prepare for surgery.  We put his cute gown on him, along with his ID anklet.  They even had a stuffed Garfield for him (which, of course, Kennedy has taken over).  The wife of a doctor that Matt works with was Case's anesthesiologist, so that made us feel great!  Both of my parents came for the surgery, and suddenly it was time for Case to go.  I almost cried, but I was strong.  I heard him cry as they walked him down the hall.  He had a gas mask, was given Tylenol, and we were in the waiting room for 15 minutes when they came to get us.  They brought him out, kicking and screaming.  I nursed him, and he was asleep again!  He was so good!  He cooed on the way home.  The three of us slept the day away, never even knowing we were under any tornado warnings/watches (not sure which one)!  I picked Kennedy up from school, and we had a great afternoon!  My sister and niece visited.  Case has been sitting up and laying on his belly playing a lot today.  He had almost completely stopped doing these two things over the past few weeks. I suppose his ears were bothering him so badly that he just didn't want to use any of his strength to play.  Matt is off work tomorrow, so he and Case will have fun together, and I will be at school with Kennedy, of course!  I am so thankful to God that everything went well today. I was especially worried about the 'no food' issue, but it was really hardly a problem at all.    

Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, I shall praise thee. Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.  Psalm 63:3-4





1 comment:

  1. How precious does he look in that little gown.. glad it all went well!

    ReplyDelete