Sunday, June 28, 2009

Farewell, Porter

Three years ago, when our house was being built, Matt, Kennedy, and I would often stop by to check the progress.  On one such occasion, we noticed the neighbor's vicious dog, who was constantly barking at us.  We feared that Kennedy would be eaten alive by this attack dog.  We just knew that we would have to watch her CLOSELY around him.  Kennedy has always loved dogs, and she had never had a fear of them, so we knew she would try to play with the monster next door.  

Well, after we moved in, we got to know the vicious attack monster, Porter, and we grew to LOVE him!  Porter was sweet and kind.  He wouldn't harm a fly, but he sure could eat a leaf! Kennedy loved Porter so much.  

A few weeks ago, when our neighbor, Dana, told us that Porter was sick, we did not tell Kennedy.  We wanted to be sure of what was wrong before we told her, just in case Porter was going to get better.  Well, on Friday, Dana, called to let me know that Porter had a very aggressive form of cancer and he was taking him to be put to sleep.  I began crying, knowing that my little girl's heart would be broken.  I had to break the news to her while Matt was at work, and Case was in the floor crying himself.  Not only was Porter sick, but she had to go and tell him good-bye right then.  Kennedy was sobbing uncontrollably.  When we went outside to meet Dana and Porter, Porter instantly ran to Kennedy; that made me so happy!  We petted him, and Kennedy hugged him many times.  I ran in the house to get my camera, and I snapped this picture of Kennedy with Dana and Porter.  Porter was such a sweet dog.  He is missed so much already! 

Farewell, sweet Porter.    


No comments:

Post a Comment